Design educators interrogating the future of design knowledge, research and education.
- Date: 9-11 September 2019
- City: Cape Town * Hosts: CPUT and Vega
- Venue: Vega Cape Town Campus 130 Strand St, De Waterkant, Cape Town, South Africa
- Google Map
Call for Abstracts for the 8th International DEFSA Conference
Design is sometimes portrayed as a practice that can address our damaged environment, mitigate the negative impact of technology, contribute to the global economy and help us to adapt to societal changes. Designers’ skills, ways of thinking and doing equip them to address a range of complex tasks that may require innovative solutions.
Given the value of design in an increasingly automated future, how can we prepare our students for a world where they must rapidly acquire new knowledge, learn new skills and adapt to new contexts and cultures? How can we as educators and researchers support the production of new knowledge and prepare our students for a changing world?
The 8th International DEFSA Conference explores these challenges under the themes of design knowledge, design research and postgraduate design education. We invite members and non-members to submit abstracts for oral presentations and posters that address the sub-themes.
Criteria for submissions of Abstracts
Abstracts for Conference presentations and poster presentations must be uploaded to the DEFSA Member Zone by the 28 February 2019.
- Local vs global
- Representation, communication and sharing of design knowledge
- Experiential knowledge
- The intersections between texts and objects as the material of design
- Design fictions
- Storying the intersection of design, research and collaborative humans
- Lessons from industry
- Studio based design research
- Applied design research
- Design-based research
- Blue skies research in design
- Collaborative design research
- Design ethics and research
- Design philosophy as research
POST GRADUATE DESIGN EDUCATION
- Challenges and opportunities
- Postgraduate studies, formats and assessment
- Postgraduate supervision
- The young researcher